Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Netflix

I thought of posting about netflix last week.I got a little bit lazy and yesterday netflix announced a price increase and most of the users are agitated right now. :)


But let me post it anyway with little modification....


Few years ago I use to rent from hollywood videos.When I moved to a different state hollywood videos said they can't lend me videos because I have a different state's driver's license.


So I went straight to Blockbuster and became a member.The price was per DVD rented.And there was late charges also.Normally I use to pay three or four times the actual rental.At that time I thought of switching to netflix.


But blockbuster came up with a different plan.The same three dvds at a time.The highlight is that you can change for DVDs at the store itself.I don't need to wait for the movies to come in mail.I will be having movies straight from store. That was an awesome offer that no movie lover will refuse. At that time I use to watch 3 movies some days. I was with blockbuster even after two price increases.

The third time blockbuster increased the price for only selected "heavy users". And I was one among the few who got price increase. I decided to leave blockbuster.

I switched to Netflix. The company that introduced DVDs by mail.

The DVDs came in regularly by mail similar to blockbuster. No complaints.But what I was missing was that the ability to watch movie immediately after I returned to blockbuster.Netflix had an answer to that in the next few months.

To fight the competition from blockbuster, Netflix introduced streaming videos directly to your computer.I don’t need to wait for the movies to arrive in the mail.I can watch the movies directly in the computer from Netflix library.

And when Roku player was introduced I bought it (see my post on the roku player) and I was able to watch the Netflix library in TV along with the family.Slowly Netflix increased the library and included search and add functions directly into the player itself.So I don’t need to go into the computer to add movies.


Everyone in the family are hooked.And I was about to say Netflix is the way to watch movies.But this price announcement came in and made everyone furious.So I am not going to say that Netflix is the only way to watch movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment